Sunday 4 August 2013

LOD on Tank Tracks

As I mentioned I have been reworking some of my old work and I have been focusing on Tank tracks today as it was something I really was never happy with on the original model. 

Originally I had my tank tracks at 180 poly per side which doesn't hold all that much detail especially as the tank would be something you could come close up to so I have been trying to work out a way of making a better set of tank tracks and the solution is LOD.

So the high poly comes in at 1,180 million, the original low poly comes in at 180 polys and the reworked comes in at 11,500 polys. I'm happy with the poly count on the rework as doing a LOD model this frees up some poly space as it doesn't use up as much memory and gives me the ability to add in extra detail into the tracks. This is my only way of getting it to work as my poly budget was around 20k max now if I do a LOD this gives me the freedom to do more with it. I am also going to add in some extra polys on the low poly tracks too just to give it some extra detail it also bean the normals should look a lot better too.

My only problem left to work out is how to texture them I'm thinking of doing it in sections of 5 tracks each just to give some variation to tank tracks and them not to all be the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment